A natural soft wool alternative eco coffin with a shroud inside.
The Leafcocoon consists of a soft woollen shroud, enfolded in layers of beautiful wool felt, supported by a strong wood and felt base with six carrying handles.
This alternative to an eco coffin is offered in 2 versions, both are complete, suitable for burial, but not usually for cremation:
- The Leafcocoon has two extra covers over the shroud, one is secured with hand-made hazel wood toggles, the other is a hand decorated or plain, removable cover.
- The Leafpod is a simpler version. The basic construction is the same as the Leafcocoon, as described below, but without the two extra covers: it is a leaf-themed shroud securely held on the strong base.
The Leafcocoon is effectively a complete coffin, nothing else is needed. The thickness and layering of the wool felt creates a smooth outline – you do not see the outline of the body. It’s designed with natural burial in mind as this is environmentally benign. It is not suitable for cremation.
Construction of Leafcocoon Eco Coffin:
- Top Leaf: the cover lies gently on top, plain white or decorated with simple motifs of native flora of your choice.
- This leaf shaped cover can be easily removed at the graveside and kept if desired as a keepsake.
- Cover: this layer is fastened down with wooden toggles and shelters the shrouded body.
- The toggles are made from hazel wood collected from local coppices and hand made in the workshop.
- Shroud: the body is wrapped in a soft woollen inner cocoon and secured to the frame.
- There are fastening ties hidden inside the felt layers to ensure stability.
- Base: a sturdy hidden internal wooden frame forms the strong weight-bearing base, encased in thick woollen felt, sewn in and secured. To ensure that the outer layers remain leak proof, it’s well padded with natural absorbent materials; no liner is necessary.
- Handles: there are six strong carrying handles, with extra ones underneath for pulling the coffin in or out of a vehicle.
- Materials: ethically sourced, using fully biodegradable, sustainable, organic when available, natural and local materials.