The leaf theme evokes the changing seasons of life and is an appropriate choice for a natural and ecological funeral. The leaf-shaped cocoon consists of a soft woollen shroud, enfolded in layers of beautiful wool felt, supported by a strong wood and felt base with carrying handles.
The Leafcocoon is effectively a complete coffin, nothing else is needed. The thickness and layering of the wool felt creates a smooth outline – you do not see the outline of the body. This eco friendly coffin is designed with natural burial in mind as this is environmentally benign. It is not suitable for cremation.
Construction of Leafcocoon Eco Coffin:
- Top Leaf: the cover lies gently on top, decorated with simple motifs of native flora of your choice.
- This leaf shaped cover can be easily removed at the graveside and kept if desired as a keepsake.
- Cover: this layer is fastened down with wooden toggles and shelters the shrouded body.
- The toggles are made from hazel wood collected from local coppices and hand made in the workshop.
- Shroud: the body is wrapped in a soft woollen inner cocoon and secured to the frame.
- There are fastening ties hidden inside the felt layers to ensure stability.
- Base: a sturdy hidden internal wooden frame forms the strong weight-bearing base, encased in thick woollen felt, sewn in and secured. To ensure that the outer layers remain leak proof, it’s well padded with natural absorbent materials; no liner is necessary.
- Handles: there are six strong carrying handles, with extra ones underneath for pulling the coffin in or out of a vehicle.
- Materials: ethically sourced, using fully biodegradable, sustainable, organic when available, natural and local materials.
This is a simpler, plain version of the Leafcocoon soft eco coffin.
It has the same strong base construction as above, supporting a plain soft white felt cocoon shroud which securely straps the body in.
This option does not have any decoration or wooden toggles.
The thick layers of felt hide the shape of the body and it functions as a complete coffin; no liner or extra support is necessary.
(The photo below shows a Leafcocoon 11 supported on a bier, which is not essential and not included.)
This is an elegant solution to a simple wool felt shroud without the base and requiring a supporting bier or coffin. A woolly cocoon wrap sewn onto a double thick felt base with closed in ends so that nothing shows.
It is possible to apply decoration as with all the other products.
This woollen burial shroud is suitable for cremation if used with a conventional coffin.