The Leafcocoon is a natural wool eco coffin. It consists of a woollen shroud, enfolded in layers of beautiful wool felt, supported by a strong wood and felt base with six carrying handles. The wool and wood is locally sourced and we also use recycled materials for elements in the base as part of our constant mission to reduce our carbon footprint. All my products are 100% biodegradable.
This environmentally friendly alternative to a traditional coffin is offered in 2 versions:
- The Leafcocoon has two extra covers over the shroud, one is secured with hand-made hazel wood toggles, the other is a hand decorated or plain, removable cover.
- The Leafpod is a simpler version. The basic construction is the same as the Leafcocoon, as described below, but without the two extra covers: it is a leaf-themed shroud securely held on the strong base.
The Leafcocoon and Leafpod are effectively complete coffins, nothing else is needed. The thickness and layering of the wool felt creates a smooth outline – you do not see the outline of the body. Designed with natural burial in mind as this is environmentally benign. Options for cremation are: simple felt shroud to be used in a conventional/eco coffin, and/or decorated felt coffin cover.
Hand-made on Dartmoor, Devon UK.
How to Order the Leafcocoon:
Please order by phone, email or order on-line. The product can be delivered to you or your chosen funeral director. Full instructions provided. Depending on stock and complexity of requirements, delivery can be from 2 to 7 days.
Alternatively visit Bellacouche Dartmoor Wool Felt Studio in Devon.
Construction of a Leafcocoon eco coffin:
- Top Leaf: the cover lies gently on top, plain white or decorated with simple motifs of native flora of your choice.
- This leaf shaped cover can be easily removed at the graveside and kept if desired as a keepsake.
- Cover: this layer is fastened down with wooden toggles and shelters the shrouded body.
- The toggles are made from hazel wood collected from local coppices and hand made in the workshop.
- Shroud: the body is wrapped in a soft woollen inner cocoon and secured to the frame.
- There are fastening ties hidden inside the felt layers to ensure stability.
- Base: a sturdy hidden internal wooden frame forms the strong weight-bearing base, encased in thick woollen felt, sewn in and secured. To ensure that the outer layers remain leak proof, it’s well padded with natural absorbent materials; no liner is necessary.
- Handles: there are six strong carrying handles, with extra ones underneath for pulling the coffin in or out of a vehicle.
- Materials: ethically sourced, using fully biodegradable, sustainable, organic, natural and local materials. We also use some recycled materials to further reduce our carbon footprint.