The Leafcocoon is a natural wool eco coffin. It consists of a soft woollen shroud, enfolded in layers of beautiful wool felt, supported by a strong wood and felt base with six carrying handles.
This environmentally friendly alternative to a traditional coffin is offered in 2 versions:
- The Leafcocoon has two extra covers over the shroud, one is secured with hand-made hazel wood toggles, the other is a hand decorated or plain, removable cover.
- The Leafpod is a simpler version. The basic construction is the same as the Leafcocoon, as described below, but without the two extra covers: it is a leaf-themed shroud securely held on the strong base.
The Leafcocoon and Leafpod are effectively complete coffins, nothing else is needed. The thickness and layering of the wool felt creates a smooth outline – you do not see the outline of the body. Designed with natural burial in mind as this is environmentally benign. It may be used in some crematoria.
Hand-made on Dartmoor, Devon UK.
How to Order the Leafcocoon:
Alternatively visit Bellacouche Dartmoor Wool Felt Studio in Devon.
Construction of a Leafcocoon eco coffin:
- Top Leaf: the cover lies gently on top, plain white or decorated with simple motifs of native flora of your choice.
- This leaf shaped cover can be easily removed at the graveside and kept if desired as a keepsake.
- Cover: this layer is fastened down with wooden toggles and shelters the shrouded body.
- The toggles are made from hazel wood collected from local coppices and hand made in the workshop.
- Shroud: the body is wrapped in a soft woollen inner cocoon and secured to the frame.
- There are fastening ties hidden inside the felt layers to ensure stability.
- Base: a sturdy hidden internal wooden frame forms the strong weight-bearing base, encased in thick woollen felt, sewn in and secured. To ensure that the outer layers remain leak proof, it’s well padded with natural absorbent materials; no liner is necessary.
- Handles: there are six strong carrying handles, with extra ones underneath for pulling the coffin in or out of a vehicle.
- Materials: ethically sourced, using fully biodegradable, sustainable, organic when available, natural and local materials.