The Leafcocoon is a natural wool eco coffin. It consists of an enfolding woollen shroud, supported by a strong wood and felt base with six carrying handles and a decorated cover. Hand-made hazel wood toggles keep things safe and add a touch of the woodland. The wool and wood is locally sourced and we also use recycled materials for elements in the base as part of our constant mission to reduce our carbon footprint. All my products are 100% biodegradable.
This environmentally friendly alternative to a traditional coffin is offered in 2 versions:
- The Leafcocoon has a plain or decorated cover over the shroud, secured with hand-made hazel wood toggles.
- The Leafpod is a simpler version without the cover. The basic construction is the same as the Leafcocoon, as described below.
The Leafcocoon and Leafpod are effectively complete coffins, nothing else is needed. The extra cover and layering of the wool felt in the Leafcocoon creates a smooth outline – you do not see the outline of the body. Designed with natural burial in mind as this is environmentally benign. Options for cremation are: simple felt shroud to be used in a conventional/eco coffin, or Willow & Wool; a collaboration with a Dorset willow coffin maker.
Hand-made on Dartmoor, Devon UK.
How to Order the Leafcocoon:
Please order by phone, email or order on-line. The product can be delivered to you or your chosen funeral director. Full instructions provided. Depending on stock and complexity of requirements, delivery can be from 2 to 7 days.
Alternatively visit Bellacouche Dartmoor Wool Felt Studio in Devon.
Construction of a Leafcocoon eco coffin:
- Leaf cover: the cover lies gently on top, plain white or decorated with simple motifs of native flora of your choice.
- This leaf shaped cover can be easily removed at the graveside and kept if desired as a keepsake.
- Shroud: the body is wrapped in a soft woollen inner cocoon and secured to the frame.
- There are fastening ties inside the felt layers to ensure stability and safety.
- Base: a sturdy hidden internal wooden frame forms the strong weight-bearing base, encased in thick woollen felt, sewn in and secured. To ensure that the outer layers remain leak proof, it’s well padded with natural absorbent materials; no liner is necessary.
- Handles: there are six strong carrying handles, with extra ones underneath for pulling the coffin in or out of a vehicle.
- Materials: ethically sourced, using fully biodegradable, sustainable, organic, natural and local materials. We also use some recycled materials to further reduce our carbon footprint.